Sunday, September 14, 2008

Nicknames and Scrums

Above: Sherman and Toothless
Those are their nicknames. I believe Sherman is his last name but I don't know his first name. Toothless got bashed in the head 6 years ago and his front four teeth are fake. Hence the name Toothless. I do know his first name (its Dan) but thats only because we have a class together and the teacher happens to call roll every day. I usually forget his name and call him Toothless anyways.

"Crouch. Touch. Pause. Engage." Those are the four words said by the ref before this occurs. This is called a "scrum". Its a way of restarting the game after a small penalty (ie off sides or forward passing of the ball). The guys in the scrum all have names for the position they are in but I don't know those. As you can see in both pictures there is a pretty nice tunnell between the two sides. The call gets rolled into there and the point is to not only push the other team away from the ball but to hook th ball with your feet and backwards so one other the other team members can grab it and pass it.
Ok....so its not the best job of explaining it. But I'm still learning as I go. I hoping to remember my camera to the next games so I can get more pictures to show you.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jenn G. said...

I watched Rugby for the first time last Saturday and it was fun. I like the little "lift" at the beginning. What is that called?
BTW....you're always welcome to our home in Seattle.

Carrie and Spencer said...

thats called a line-out. Its like a throw in in soccer. Rugby IS fun. I enjoy watching the CSU's team play!

Rockholme Lodge said...

I've actually never even watched a game. I don't understand how they don't kill each other since there are no pads.